[lug] rpm and temp files

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Tue Dec 12 13:17:38 MST 2000

Whenever I start running into these headaches with RPM, I tend to grab
the source tarball, GNU configure, make, and make install things into
/usr/local.  At least this keeps manually installed things apart from
the rest of the distribution.

"D. Stimits" wrote:

> Pete Krawczyk wrote:
> >
> > D. Stimits wrote:
> >
> > > I'm wondering if there is a simple way in "rpm --rebuild" to tell
> > > it to use rm -f instead of just rm?
> >
> > You could either try to re-alias rm for rpm:
> >    alias rm "rm -f" # not wise :-)
> > or you could put a dir in your path,
> >    export PATH=`pwd`:$PATH
> > create your own rm,
> >    echo '#!/bin/sh' > rm
> >    echo '/bin/rm -f $*' >> rm
> >    chmod +x rm
> > and re-run rpm.
> >
> > I'm not guaranteeing either of these will work, but those would be my
> > avenues.  Remember, rpm just takes the specfile and runs the commands
> > therein.  And most specfiles I've seen don't specifically set the paths to
> > the commands they run unless they have to.
> >
> > -Pete K
> > --
> > Pete Krawczyk
> >    UNIX/RDBMS Administrator
> >    Absolute Performance
> >    pak at unixdba.com
> >

> Since I've run into several rpms like this recently (mainly RH 7
> .src.rpm's that don't like 6.2), I should probably learn how to
> manipulate the spec file. One especially annoying problem is that the
> source files tend to demand glibc from RH 7, and don't like the most
> recent of 6.2; in a source rpm, this should not matter that there are
> minor version differences (despite the object format differences in RH
> 7's glibc, recompile does not depend on that). Do most people here edit
> rpm's by hand, with rpm command line?
>
> D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com

John Hernandez, Network Engineer --------------------------------------
US Department of Commerce                             tel: 303-497-6392
NOAA/OAR - Mailstop R/OM12                            fax: 303-497-6005
325 Broadway                            e-mail: John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Boulder, CO 80303                               http://boulder.noaa.gov