[lug] rpm and temp files

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Tue Dec 12 15:05:53 MST 2000

"D. Stimits" wrote:

> John Hernandez wrote:
> >
> > Whenever I start running into these headaches with RPM, I tend to grab
> > the source tarball, GNU configure, make, and make install things into
> > /usr/local.  At least this keeps manually installed things apart from
> > the rest of the distribution.
> >

> Until I find a cure, this is what I've actually done. RPM's have a
> tendency to understand RH's current install config though, so they are
> useful even if tarballs work too. I find it preferable not to bypass rpm
> if it is possible.

I agree in the case where it's possible AND practical.  I probably
should gain a better understanding of RPM.  That is, unless someone out
there can convince me to switch to a better system...Debian users?  I
think I'm reviving a burried topic, but what's better than RPM?  Does
dpkg exhibit frustrating problems like these?  Other RPM substitutes?

> D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com

John Hernandez, Network Engineer --------------------------------------
US Department of Commerce                             tel: 303-497-6392
NOAA/OAR - Mailstop R/OM12                            fax: 303-497-6005
325 Broadway                            e-mail: John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Boulder, CO 80303                               http://boulder.noaa.gov