[lug] rpm and temp files

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Tue Dec 12 20:05:59 MST 2000

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, John Hernandez uttered:

> "D. Stimits" wrote:

> > Until I find a cure, this is what I've actually done. RPM's have a
> > tendency to understand RH's current install config though, so they are
> > useful even if tarballs work too. I find it preferable not to bypass rpm
> > if it is possible.
> >

> I agree in the case where it's possible AND practical.  I probably
> should gain a better understanding of RPM.  That is, unless someone out
> there can convince me to switch to a better system...Debian users?  I
> think I'm reviving a burried topic, but what's better than RPM?  Does
> dpkg exhibit frustrating problems like these?  Other RPM substitutes?

In many cases I have used mc (midnight commander) to "open" the rpm
containing binaries and copied the binaries into the destination
directory.  mc handles rpm's like it does tar and tar.gz files making it
easy to do.  The disadvantage is that your rpm database won't get updated
nor will any scripts run.  Also, for very large rpm files on the order of
30Mb or greater, it can be prohibitively slow.