[lug] ipchains -L hangs

Timothy C. Klein teece at hypermall.net
Tue Dec 12 20:32:17 MST 2000

You're not filtering out DNS are you?  Or ICMP packets coming back in or
something?  On my machine, ipchains -L is always a little slow, as it looks
up IP addresses, turning them into domain names.

Try ipchains -L -n and see if it is faster, if so you know it is the DNS
lookup delaying things.

Tim

On Tuesday 12 December 2000 18:59, you wrote:
> This command is at times _extremely_ ( 5 minutes and still thinking, after
> printing a couple of lines ) slow:
>
> ipchains -L forward -v --line-numbers
>
> whereas adding/deleting rules happens right away.
>
> there are 15 rules in the chain.
>
> what could be the problem for the slowness of the -L command?
>
> Samartha

== Timothy Klein       || And what rough beast                   ==
== teece at hypermall.net || Its hour come round at last            ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || Slouches towards Bethleham to be born? ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || The beast of Redmond, nothing more.    ==