[lug] Traceroute question

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Wed Dec 13 13:44:39 MST 2000

At 01:05 PM 12/13/00 -0700, Deva Samartha wrote:

>Probably your connection from your home computer is a 56 k dialup. That's
>the last ( from remote) or first ( from your computer ) and slowest.

Actually, I have just switched to Covad IDSL which should be 144k. When I
had 64K ISDN I was getting 23msec.

Here are more facts to forestall guessing about my setup. I'm masquerading
a heterogeneous (Linux/Win32) network behind one IP. One Linux box acts as
firewall and router, and it has the IP address. The DSL box is actually set
as a bridge. There may be parameters on that box that could be tweaked but
I don't understand bridging very well. All of the traceroute times I'm
concerned about are from the firewall. Within the network there's no
appreciable time.

>When you look out through that slower pipe, you see the world in 200 ms
>hops, when you go from the fast remote world  to your computer with
>traceroute, it's only the last hop showing the 200 ms.

Why would I see the world in 200ms hops? I thought that traceroute
presented the inter-hop time? That was really my question...

-M

Michael Deck
Cleanroom Software Engineering, Inc.