[lug] Can't send email to uswest domain

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Wed Dec 13 15:58:55 MST 2000

For Internet security, identd seems pointless.  I agree with Nate and
wish they would give it up.  It's like being asked by a telemarketer for
your name and address.  Or the classic "Sign up to download".  I rarely
see any good reason to tell the truth.  Why bother?

First name: a
Last name: b
Phone number: 234-345-4567

SUBMIT!

Nate Duehr wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 11:25:39AM -0700, George Sexton wrote:
> > If you are firewalling your machine, make sure you let the auth protocol
> > through to the identd daemon. Many mail hosts can exhibit lots of strange
> > behaviors if the sender isn't running identd.
>
> But of course, you can always point out to anyone running a mail server
> that requires you to ident that they're not in compliance with the RFC's
> for mail services.
>
> I really dislike it when sysadmins try to secure services that were
> never designed to be secure.  :) :) :)
>
> --
> Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>
>
> GPG Key fingerprint = DCAF 2B9D CC9B 96FA 7A6D AAF4 2D61 77C5 7ECE C1D2
> Public Key available upon request, or at wwwkeys.pgp.net and others.

John Hernandez, Network Engineer --------------------------------------
US Department of Commerce                             tel: 303-497-6392
NOAA/OAR - Mailstop R/OM12                            fax: 303-497-6005
325 Broadway                            e-mail: John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Boulder, CO 80303                               http://boulder.noaa.gov