[lug] Whiney drives.

Sebastian Sobolewski spsobole at mindless.com
Thu Dec 14 22:49:16 MST 2000

At 10:21 PM 12/14/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>I hope this isn't too stupid of a question but...
>
>Is it common or even possible for a severely frag'd drive (HD) to make
>hideous whining noises? Would it be the heads trying to keep up, if so?
>
>I was sure the drive was gonna die, sounded almost like it was speeding up
>and slowing down. But I defrag'd (sorry it's a Windoze machine) and now
>it's not making any noticable sounds.

         Was it making the noise only when accessing the drive or all the
time.  If only during access then it may be low/high flying heads.  If it
was all of the time then it sounds like your bearings have developed a
defect.  If I were you I'd backup your important data, because from my
experience the drive will begin developing data errors pretty soon.

-Sebastian
Sebastian Sobolewski