[lug] OT -- Power Cable

Timothy C. Klein teece at hypermall.net
Thu Dec 14 23:42:37 MST 2000

Hey all,

My sister spilled root beer on her brand new (hand-me-down) HP P3 500.  The
motherboard was toasted.  I replaced it for her with a Soyo they had at
CompUSA, and all is working again with one notable, and very inconvenient,
exception.

The little two wire connection that goes from the power switch to the
motherboard is incompatible between the HP and the SOYO.  HP had six wires,
two each for power button, power led, and hard disk led.  These six wires are
in a hard linear holder that is in an arrangement that won't plug into the
motherboard, as the SOYO needs them in an L-shape.  (The arrangement is of
course different on the soyo).  Bummer!

The power supply, of course, has no on/off switch, it is only controlled by
the power button.  What she has to do for right now to start up the machine
is 1) leave the case off, 2) put a jumper momentarily across the correct two
pins on the motherboard, 3) wait for the PC to start up, and 4) remove the
jumper.

Needless to say, this is not very good for a permanent set up.   Anyone know
where I might get a set of three independent cables, with just the two wires
for each?  I haven't looked yet, but I suspect that on the non-motherboard
end the wires in the case are soldered.  Am I going to have to rig something
on my own?  Anyone with thoughts or experiences to share would be great.

TIA

Tim
== Timothy Klein       || And what rough beast                   ==
== teece at hypermall.net || Its hour come round at last            ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || Slouches towards Bethleham to be born? ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || The beast of Redmond, nothing more.    ==