[lug] 3dfx graphics technology

Jeff Howell howeljs at grimoire.stortek.com
Mon Dec 18 10:27:49 MST 2000

It's not really Nvidia's fault the drivers aren't open. They have
repeatedly said that the would like to open the drivers. But unfortunately,
there is Intellectual Property from other vendors (SGI's 'official' OpenGL
Code among others) and they cannot opensource the driver unless the other
parties agree. But I must admit, Nvidia's driver is BY FAR the best
performing, stable GLX driver's I've ever used. There's even patches for
the open parts of the kernel module so that it will compile under 2.4. I
have noticed a slight slowdown of the drivers under 2.4 however. Not
visible, but my framerates in Quake3 and Unreal are about 5% lower. We'll
have to see when 2.4 is offical, there are offical 2.4 compatable drivers
from Nvidia, and Xfree 4.0.2 is out (DGA2 finally working with OpenGL, woohoo!)

As far as 3dfx is concerned, good riddance. They haven't made anything good
since the Voodoo2. Their drivers, while opensource, have had miserable
performance compared to the win32 drivers. Even their win32 drivers are
weak. 3rd party hacks have to be used (Wicked GL) to get full performance
from their cards. Unless you're running something native in 3dfx's
propietary GLIDE libraries, performance will always be sub-par.