[lug] Boulder Linux Users Group - December 14, 2000 Meeting Summary

J. Wayde Allen wallen at its.bldrdoc.gov
Mon Dec 18 13:47:29 MST 2000

              Boulder Linux User's Group Meeting Summary

Attendance:  49

Synopsis:  This was the second month since we've begun opening the
meetings with short (10 minute) software demo's.  The idea being, not to
teach people everything there is to know about a program or operating
system feature, but simply to raise the group's overall awareness about
what is out there.  This month Wayde Allen demonstrated the Xcircuit
drawing package.  Relevant URL's are:

   http://bach.ece.jhu.edu/~tim/programs/xcircuit/
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/xcircuit

This demo was followed by our featured speaker, Scott Herod
(herod at interact-tv.com), talking about "Audio and Video with Linux:  How
to Watch TV in your Office".  He covered what you need in both hardware
and software to process audio and video using Linux, and finished off with
a demo of the video compositing software that he has been working on.  His
meeting notes are available (in XML format) at
<http://www.interact-tv.com/HTML/talkres_xml.txt>.

As usual we finished up the meeting with our usual question and answer
session followed by a door prize drawing.

Next Meeting:  January 11, 2001, NIST Auditorium, 7:00 p.m.
               Michael J. Pedersen <marvin at keepthetouch.org> will speak
               about cryptography, including GPG <http://www.gnupg.org/>
               and SSH <http://www.ssh.org/>.