[lug] Screen res and modes

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Mon Dec 18 16:28:36 MST 2000

Hello again.

I've been thru the archives looking for an answer to this and I only found
some old threads about setting screen res in general.

Last night on a fresh install I had everything working great except I
couldn't get out of 1280x1024. So I tried to do a reinstall and
specify 1024x768 as the default but that didn't work. Now I'm stuch
with 800x600 and can't even get 1280x1024 back. My luck.

I've been all through the XF86Config trying multiple things but I keep
getting "No valid modes found". I assume it's referring to the ModeLine
statements in the monitor section. I'd prefer not to blow up the monitor
so I'm hesitent to make any changes to the sync data.

Anyone know what I can do. I know 1280 worked, why can't it find a
modeline for that atleast?

Thanks,

John