[lug] vmware q's

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Dec 19 09:06:25 MST 2000

My girlfriend may be getting a new machine running Windows xx (version
unknown, but likely NT, 2000 or ME).  I'd like to run VMWare on that box
with Linux as the native host and Windows as a guest so that I can
administer networking from Linux (which I understand) instead of Windows
(which I don't want to).

Does VMWare let the Linux networking appear to the Windows guest?  I want
to route that box through my personal box which does gatewaying for my home
network of Linux boxes out a cable modem.  Do I still have to administer
Windows networking?  Do I need megamemory in order to run both OS's
reasonably fast?  Is the VMWare Express option a full version of VMWare
that would allow this?  It appears to be, but I've never used VMWare so
don't really know much about it.
--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com