[lug] vmware q's

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Tue Dec 19 09:15:35 MST 2000

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 10:06:25AM -0600, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> Does VMWare let the Linux networking appear to the Windows guest?  I want
> to route that box through my personal box which does gatewaying for my home
> network of Linux boxes out a cable modem.  Do I still have to administer
> Windows networking?  Do I need megamemory in order to run both OS's
> reasonably fast?  Is the VMWare Express option a full version of VMWare
> that would allow this?  It appears to be, but I've never used VMWare so
> don't really know much about it.

It's as if you've got two separate boxes. So, you've got Samba to
share filesystems, and IP to network. The samba setup is very easy,
vmware takes care of it. The windows networking is easy as well,
you can set up static IPs or DHCP.

As far as I know VMWare Express is a full version.

More memory is always better, but it runs fine with 64M.

Evelyn Mitchell
efm at tummy.com