[lug] 19" monitor questions

matthew.w.mcillece at lmco.com matthew.w.mcillece at lmco.com
Tue Dec 19 11:08:56 MST 2000

I bought a 19" ADI Provista E-66 in September for under $300 plus S/H.  See http://www.adiusa.com/e66.html for specs.  I used www.pricewatch.com to get the lowest price at the time.  Now it looks like you can get one for $275 plus S/H.

This seemed like the best value at the time for the 19" monitors that had a 3 year warranty.  You can pay about $416 plus S/H and get the ADI G910 which has a true flat screen, a smaller dot pitch (.24), and a 3 year warranty that includes immediate replacement (you don't have to ship your broken monitor to them first, they just ship you a replacement right away via ground delivery).  See a list of all ADI monitors at http://www.adiusa.com/comparison.html.

In comparison, a Viewsonic PF790 (http://www.viewsonic.com/products/productdetail.cfm?productid=000EF2EB-970A-1908-829D80C4C7BE010C), has the same size, dot pitch, scanning frequencies, and warranty as the ADI E-66, but costs $394 plus S/H on www.pricewatch.com right now.  The PF790 has "an absolute flat screen", however and the ADI E-66 doesn't.  The ADI has a higher maximum resolution (1920x1440 vs 1600x1200), but the higher resolution isn't really useful given the rest of the specs that these monitors have.  See http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#monitor and http://ms.ha.md.us/~hawks/hardware/monitors.html for more info on that.

Also see

http://www.zdnet.com/computershopper/edit/howtobuy/C0000013/

There are supposed to be local vendors for ADI, but I had a hard time finding one and in the end www.pricewatch.com was much cheaper even after including S/H.  Also, buying in-store only helps you if you have to return the monitor within the store's own return window (usually 2 weeks to 30 days).  Outside their return window, they tell you to mail it back to the manufacturer for warranty service.  That's no better than if you buy mail order.

-Matt