[lug] 19" monitor questions

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Dec 20 00:48:38 MST 2000

If you can at all afford it, and you do a lot of typing docs or code,
you may want to look at some of the (what seem to be so much) smaller
LCD displays.

They've come down in price drastically in the 15" range this year, and
they're REALLY nice for working on.  (Have you seen an ugly modern
laptop screen lately?)

However, they do have a tendency to "smear" when gaming a bit.  I played
Unreal Tournament and Q3 on one of the Apple 17" flat LCD's and it
didn't bother me at all, but some don't like them for games.  Of course,
the Apple's are repackaged Sony LCD displays...

Also, keep in mind that a 15" LCD has almost the viewable area of a 17"
monitor... so you can really be fooled by the measurements.  There's a
lot of physical space on a 15" LCD.

Color issues (if you're a print artist, etc...) could be an issue with
some LCD displays also.

Anyway, just a thought.  Less heat, but prone to glare if your work area
isn't dark, there's probably a lot more considerations, but something to
think about...