[lug] X, Window Managers and KDE/gnome 101

Andrew Diederich andrew at NETdelivery.com
Wed Dec 20 07:51:03 MST 2000

> From: Nate Duehr [mailto:nate at natetech.com]
>
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 01:55:56AM -0700, Tkil wrote:
> > depending on what "run level" the initdefault is set to, your linux
> > box will boot to either a text or graphical login screen.  in the
>
> Not true.  This is a "RedHat-ism".
>
> There's no direct relationship between whether or not X starts and the
> run level of the machine unless you make it so.
>
> RedHat has chosen to do so, and they automatically start X (I believe
> using XDM) whenever the system is at runlevel 5.

[Debian snipped]

> I'm not sure how the other distros do this, but I just wanted to make
> sure that everyone realizes that the "a certain runlevel causes X to
> start up" is strictly something that RedHat popularized.

[rest snipped]

I'm pretty sure my Slackware 3.0 worked this way, and that was in the 1.2.13
kernel days.  I still have the floppies, but probably won't install them to
check.  *grin*  Hmm, I have some floppies older than that, too.  I wonder
what's on them?

--
Andrew Diederich