[lug] performing security checks...

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Wed Dec 20 11:57:54 MST 2000

[Cool, every time I tried to actually reply to this message, Netscape
4.76 died a quick death.]

> On a similar note, how would I find what is actually opening a port for listening
> so I can investigate the messages about port 6000 being opened?  I've looked at
> the security logs in /var/logs and don't see anything giving me more info than I
> already have.

Is port 6000 the X server?  I hope so because that's what my
machine reports.  Use 'lsof -i' as root to see what process
is watching which port.

Also, while not a guarantee, see if a line like:

rpm --verify `rpm --query -f \`which lsof\``

reports any errors first.  See the rpm manpage to interpret any
response.

Scott