[lug] CORBA books

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Wed Dec 20 15:51:09 MST 2000

At 02:55 PM 12/20/00 -0700, Atkinson, Chip wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>Does anyone have a recommendation for CORBA books?  I'm thinking with
>respect to the C or Java interfaces.

IMHO there's only one that is useful, Advanced CORBA Programming with C++
by Henning and Vinoski. I have at least three 'CORBA for Java' books and
they're all terrible examples of bad technical books: bloated, wrong, and
impossible to use. In one of them, the examples turn into C++ about half
way through the book suggesting they took their C++ book and repackaged it,
doing a poor job. If you're at all familiar with both C++ and Java, you can
mentally map H&V and then get the rest of the way with whatever
documentation comes with your Java ORB. That's what I ended up doing. If
you aren't, well, I don't have a recommentation. H&V is exceptionally
complete, well-indexed, and understandable.

If you end up going down the Java path, drop me a line some time and we can
kibbitz. I am only an egg, but I do have a little experience with the
JacORB package.

-Mike

Michael Deck
Cleanroom Software Engineering, Inc.