[lug] Ping Error

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Fri Dec 22 11:18:58 MST 2000

Is one of the two hosts totally non-communicative?  In other words, can
you ping other hosts from the server?  from the workstation in question?

It could be a bad port on your switch/hub.  It could be a bad NIC.  It
could be a software misconfiguration.  Unless we get more detail about
what you have done to troubleshoot, it's too hard to tell.

SoloCDM wrote:

> Something is seriously wrong with our network.  A station with Win
> 9x still believes another workstation exists, even though the other
> workstation is disconnected.  When it was connected, I was able
> to use the other workstation to view the files of the workstation
> in question.
>
> Next, I tried to ping the workstation in question from the server,
> but it wouldn't work.  I tried pinging from the workstation to the
> server and it wouldn't work.  What's wrong?  No ipchains are running.
> The cables are tightly connected.  Could it be the NIC?
>
> Note: When you reply to this message, please include the mailing
>       list and my email address.

John Hernandez, Network Engineer --------------------------------------
US Department of Commerce                             tel: 303-497-6392
NOAA/OAR - Mailstop R/OM12                            fax: 303-497-6005
325 Broadway                            e-mail: John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Boulder, CO 80303                               http://boulder.noaa.gov