[lug] opinions on backup tools

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Dec 27 19:54:46 MST 2000

For open tools, look at amanda.  www.amanda.org  From the folks I've
talked to who are using it, it does a very nice job over the network and
only takes a bit of fiddling to get it running the way you would want it
to.  There are RPM's and DEB's floating around.

Here at the office, they went with HP's OmniBack but there are only
clients for Linux, no server software.  (Yep, the NT guys are backing my
machines up.  Ghastly, I believe was the word someone used in another
thread here recently on another topic.  Seems to fit.  hahaha...)

Actually as much as I give them a hard time, the OmniBack stuff seems to
be working quite well.  They have their GUI and can put things back on
my servers from tape (DLT) very nicely.

I played with Arkeia for a month here at the office.  Requires X on the
controlling "client" machine (didn't really want that), is very flashy,
forces you to come up with a tape labeling scheme and a tape rotation
(which a lot of new admins forget to do anyway...) and basically seemed
"ok" to me.  It also at the time has low encryption (but at least some)
on its network client/server software and seemed like it was well
documented, even for folks who had never done much on Linux systems
before.  Couldn't get their beta NT client working properly at the time,
they may have fixed it long ago by now.

Hope that helps.