[lug] Help installing Debian

Glenn Murray gmurray at Mines.EDU
Thu Dec 28 11:47:30 MST 2000

Hi,

I am trying to install Debian on two workstations.  They
have Promise Ultra66 cards to which the hard drive is
attached.  The install kernel does not support these
cards, but the (CheapBytes) installation CD has in
dists/potato/main/disks-i386/2.2.16-2000-07-14/images-1.44/udma66
a readme which says that this (udma66) directory has a
kernel image which contains support for the very Promise
Ultra66 cards I'm trying to support.  Moreover, there
is a ../udma66 directory with a drivers.tgz file.

How do I do I get this working?

I have unplugged the hard drive cable from the Promise card
and plugged it into the primary IDE slot on the motherboard;
this enables me to install, however, now Win2K will not
boot, so I need to get the card support working somehow.
Is there some way I can build in the Ultra66 support
while running Linux through the motherboard, turn it
off, and reposition the cable, and be happy?

Please help,
Thanks,
Glenn