[lug] Gnome hidden panel

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Dec 28 14:43:55 MST 2000

David Lewis wrote:

> [...]

My system (RH 6.2) doesn't have the .Xclients-default. It does have
/etc/X11/xinit/Xclients, which I believe is run at startup of X11, and
is something like a system-wide default. In the case of virtually every
settings file related to X11, there is a copy that runs for startup, and
possibly a copy for default use after up, that users would refer to,
unless they have their own copy in home. "Typical" is for it to check
the most personal/local to home version first, then work its way out
towards the more general version if the personal version is not found.
Thus it seldom hurts to place copies of such an init file in various
directories that might be searched, possibly with different
modifications. A sym link is often a good way to go if you want these to
all be the same and you want to edit just one. An exception to all this
is that sometimes there are "security" related files of which the values
cannot be overridden by individual versions. In the case of X init
files, I don't know which would be exceptions or not; in any case, you
could always place a copy there and test it out without fear. Be sure
that the files have permission to be read by whatever users, and can't
be written by non-root if they are not owned by the particular user.
During testing you might want to just make all init files readable by
all (of the Xclients files), but don't forget where they were set before
you started.

You might also want to get the source to your X install, unpack it
somewhere temporary, and see what its Xclients files look like. Better
have some hard drive room though.