[lug] startx error

Bill Jorgensen jorg at sysmgrs.com
Fri Dec 29 10:20:52 MST 2000

On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Atkinson, Chip wrote:

> That's really weird.  What is your mouse device?  Look through
> /etc/X11/XF86config to see if /dev/fd0 is mentioned anywhere.  Then do ls -l
> /dev/mouse.  Maybe that's pointint to /dev/fd0.  BTW, /dev/fd0 as you
> probably know, is the floppy.  I don't know what it would have to do with a
> video display.

> > I'm getting an error when trying to start xwindows on my
> > slackware 7.1 box.
> > After typing "startx -- -bpp 16" it quits with a fatal server
> > error saying it
> > can't find "/dev/fd0". I've tried reconfiguring the Xserver
> > (using xf86config)
> > a couple times with same results. I'm running kernel 2.2.16
> > w/ an Nvidia TNT
> > video card. Any help would be appreciated.

The thing that comes to mind is that the X environment wants access to
the floppy drive and for whatever reason bails when it can't. I would
check for the driver and test it to see that data can be passed to the
device. If you cannot then you have a device driver or disk issue that
needs attention. There are ways to rebuild your device drivers in other
flavors of UNIX. That is an option. It could also be as simple as an edit
to a config file.

Later,

Bill

--