[lug] a belly laugh from Windows magazine

Atkinson, Chip CAtkinson at Circadence.com
Fri Dec 29 10:43:45 MST 2000

An interesting notion:

"Ulead's PhotoImpact 6.0 is, in my opinion, as good a product as Adobe
Photoshop 5 and several hundred dollars cheaper. Linux users would reply
that the GIMP program, a picture-editing package for Linux, is free -- but
it runs only on Linux. That's the crucial difference."

1) It's ok for him to tie himself to Windows via Photoshop or PhotoImpact,
but not to tie himself to "linux" via GIMP.
2) GIMP runs on more platforms than either of the two packages he mentions
as well as Windows (http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32//), and may even run
on Macintosh. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

A non-argument:

"If I'm leading a project and choose free software that is markedly inferior
to commercial software out of a moral obligation to support free software,
that sensibility will present a problem if my project goes over budget or
falls behind schedule because the free program just isn't that good. "

Is that not basically saying that "I'll get in trouble if I make a decision
for the wrong reason(s)"?
The heart of the matter is the definition of "inferior".  Does one or two
missing features make something inferior?  It does if the features are
necessary to complete your task.  Oddly enough, the other side of the coin
is often not scrutinized.  In other words, if you go buy something that is
available for free, you will rarely get in trouble.  For example, going out
and purchasing Photoshop vs. downloading GIMP.  Strange.