[lug] Samba and passwd

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Sun Dec 31 11:22:02 MST 2000

On Sun, 31 Dec 2000, John Starkey uttered:

> I'm trying to map my annoying Windoze machine to my home dir. Everything
> seems to be fine with the exception of the auth.
>
> I checked regedit and enabled PlainTextPassword and the smb.conf passwd
> encryption lines are commented out.
>
> I think this may be the same problem I've been having with Netatalk.
>
> Can anyone tell me where else I need to look for this. I'm using shadow
> and tried it both ways with netatalk. Still no luck.

I don't know anything about netatalk, but for W9x + samba you need to add
entries to smbpasswd.  You can specify the path to smbpasswd in smb.conf,
which IMO is a good idea, because it varies according to compile time
options.  If you compile w/o mods, the default is
sambaSourceDir/private/smbpasswd.  There is a script to create smbpasswd
from /etc/passwd.  Then run "mksmbpasswd username passwd" to change the
passwd to agree with the W9x login pw.

The docs included with the samba distro have all the info.