[lug] Samba and passwd

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Tue Jan 2 11:06:26 MST 2001

> > But I have now run into a problem where running smbd -D just terminates
> > silently and there are no smbd processes. Windoze is telling me it can't
> > find the server now. I did re-compile and still the new binary won't start
> > up. Any suggestions... anyone... help?? How do I do this to myself??
>
> You can boost samba's debug level in smb.conf (man smb.conf).  This should
> point you in the right direction.

I'm sorry, thanks for the reply. I've had the flu really bad for the past
couple days and forgot to update this. I did get this working. There's an
excellent page outlining a sequence to diagnose samba problems. It's
linked from the samba.org --> documentation pages.

What I finally had to do to get samba to startup was go thru and delete
all the files from previous installs and reinstall. (not sure why the new
ones worked). Once it was running the samba docs online made it a 1-2-3
thing to get the connectivity.

Thanks again.

John