[lug] Repartitioning to save Winders ME

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Jan 4 00:12:34 MST 2001

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 08:31:29PM -0700, Calvin Dodge wrote:
> "Scott A. Herod" wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to help someone repartition a drive and save the existing
> > version of Winders ME (which of course came with a single partition
> > of less than half the drive but extending beyond the 1024 boundary).
> > Is there anyway get Linux to accept a /boot beyond the 1024 limit
> > or does anyone know a way to shrink the existing ME partition.
>
> Have you tried GNU parted?  You can download a bootable floppy image (running
> Linux, of course), and run parted from said floppy.

Is this download from somewhere on the GNU machines, or at SourceForge
or ...?

GNU parted sounds really useful.  I've used Partition Magic for years,
but it sounds like the GNU tools are catching up.  Especially for ext2fs
partitions -- at least, I think that's all it can do right now, correct?

(Off to go STFW... Google is my friend.)   :) :) :)

I didnt' realize they had pre-packaged binary floppy images.  That's a
nice/professional touch.

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>