[lug] DSL Service Providers

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Jan 4 16:48:42 MST 2001

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 01:55:18AM -0700, HEROLD wrote:
>I currently use CU as my provider but they do not give static IP's, and I
>have need for remote access without wondering what my IP is going to be.
>Can anyone vouch for their service with regard to latency, downtime, etc.?

We're just in the process of getting another line from Qwerst -- the benefit
is that their lines are flat-rate on the bandwidth usage.  Static IPs cost
$15/month for a block of 5 usable.

We have two lines from FRII and have been happy with them.  Static IPs at
FRII were originally much more cost-effective than they are now, though
they're still probably cheaper than Qwest.  For regular use the metered
service is probably fine, but if you're really going to be pounding it you
will get hit.  Their basic monthly rate is pretty cheap, and IIRC it doesn't
depend on the speed of your line -- that is made up for by the bandwidth
charges if you use them.

Verinet is now FRII.

I've been happy with FRIIs service.  We run servers on it and have not had
real problems with down-time.  Most of the down-time is during a maintenance
window of 3am to 6am.

Just about everybody is offering DSL these days.  If you have an ISP
you like, check out what DSL offerings they have.  Also, JATO and Covad
I believe are offering DSL without the telco really being in the way,
this may be an option.  There's also the wireless options, Sprint has
one in the Denver area, and cwx.net has one in the Fort Collins area.

Sean
--
 "The great thing about Meat Loaf is he's his own special effect." -- J.S.