[lug] PHP3 compile and rusage

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Mon Jan 8 12:36:52 MST 2001

Chip thanks a lot for the reply. I've spent a total of 16 hours on this. I
see the same problem all over the boards, everyone has a suggestion/fix
but none of them apply.

I do have a machine that works fine. It's a stock install of RH6.2,
unscathed by me:}. But my home machine just won't compile. For the
archives and anyone else, there's a faq that addresses this issue as well
as a lot of discussion on this in the php.net mail archives. But it's
definately an "I broke my linux box" issue from what i can tell.

> Are there any other errors?  rusage is a structure in system header files.
> See getrlimit(2).  One thing that I found when building PHP on machines here
> is that the linux boxes as installed were missing include files, or links to

No other errors.

Yea. I upgraded to glibc-2.1.3, reconfiged my 2.3.9 kernel and symlinked
to the linux dir and the asm dir from /usr/include, I tried, as one person
suggested, adding a CFLAG='-02 -DHAVE_SYS_RESOURCE_H' env variable, but
this is already a flag in everything up to and including the microtime.c
line anyway. I uncommented all the RLIM_INFINITY lines in my resource.h.
And a few other things that I can't remember I'm sure.

> Clean the distribution directory out again (make clean usually)
> Re-run configure
> run make

Also need to delete the config.cache.

> watch the error messages for include files not being found.  Find the files,
> usually under /usr/src/linux and put symlinks in /usr/include that point to
> the files that reside under /usr/src/linux/...

I don't see any errors for includes not found (or atleast not blantenly
saying so.) This error doesn't even make mention. Just says the
function/microtime.c storage size og "usg" isn't known. (I guess usg is in
an include somewhere?)

Maybe I missed something here. I did a make menu config in the 2.3.9 dir,
and accepted the defaults. Then did a make. After that I symlinked from
/usr/include/linux to /usr/src/linux/include/linux and from
/usr/include/asm to /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386.

This is crazy. I don't have a problem with anything else compiling.

Thanks,

john