[lug] install linux on ibm laptop

Bonnell, Doug DBonnell at BreeceHill.com
Mon Jan 8 14:07:37 MST 2001

I've pulled the hard drive from the laptop and installed it into a desktop
with
a 3.5 inch to 2.5 inch adaptor. Then you just use the desktop's ability to
boot from CDROM and install RedHat as usual.

You need to reconfigure X for the hardware on the laptop. I've just used the
SVGA server, but left RedHat at runlevel 3 to avoid login via gdm/kdm/xdm
util I had X running right on the laptop first.

My CheapBytes version of RedHat 6.2 has a "dosutils" directory. You can
bring up Windows, load the CDROM and then use the "autoboot.bat" file
(if memory servers me right, I did this once on a old Compaq that couldn't
 boot from CDROM, even though it had a CDROM drive).

Hope this helps...

Doug Bonnell