[lug] PDF headache

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Tue Jan 9 09:23:03 MST 2001

I often find myself in a situation of reading a PDF document in the Adobe
Acrobat reader (ver 4.0, Jan 24, 2000) and having the reader self destruct
when I access a particular page.  The Windows version doesn't seem to
suffer from this problem.

So then I give the ghostview clone, "gv" a try.  It seems to work better
in this respect: it's able to read the page, and even gives a page index
on the left to facilitate document access.  But it has its own very
annoying problem of truncating several lines of text from the bottom of
every page.  Ghostview is worse, in that no page index / table of contents
is displayed, making it very cumbersome to maneuver the document.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a better PDF viewer?  Does Adobe
frame maker view PDF's?  Although I would rather not have to DL and
install it as it seems like overkill to use it simply as a viewer, if it's
the only real choice then maybe it's worth doing.

John Karns                                              jkarns at csd.net

"Those who cast the vote decide nothing; Those who count the vote decide
everything." - Joseph Stalin