[lug] kpilot on rh7

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Jan 10 14:05:22 MST 2001

charles at lunarmedia.net wrote:

> i am trying to get kpilot running on my rh7 box. i am running
> gnome/sawfish for my wm. when i attempt to launch kpilot, i receive:
>
> kpilot: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.2:
> undefined symbol: hashKey__6QGDictPCc
>
> i am just not familiar enough with how library calls work and what this
> undefined symbol is referring to. anyone have some input for this one?
>
> thanks -cjm

Somewhere a function named something like "hashKey()" (arguments are
based on the strange scribble 6QGDictPCc which is an abbreviation and
possible mangling) was called, but never actually implemented anywhere
that it could find it. I tried to look at my libkdecore with nm, but
symbols were all stripped, so I can't track it.

The short form is that probably libkdecore requires some function to be
defined in another library, and it couldn't find that library.
libkdecore is reporting it because it was the one that referenced it
first, either as part of load procedure or as an actual call. It isn't
unusual for some functions to be removed from a given library, and moved
to another during version upgrades. It is possible the software was
compiled on an earlier version and expects to find it there, or else
another supporting lib is just missing. If it is due to your version
being compiled somewhere different than the distribution being used,
then recompiling from source will fix it; if it is due to the function
just not being anywhere to be found, you'll have to figure out where to
get it.