[lug] Many Port Requests

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Jan 12 09:46:46 MST 2001

SoloCDM wrote:

> I'm getting many udp port requests through ipchains on
> 137/netbios-ns.  Is this the port NTs use for the nameservers or
> is it a cracker?
>
> Note: When you reply to this message, please include the mailing
>       list/newsgroup address in Cc: and my email address in To:.

> Signed,
> SoloCDM

This is part of network neighborhood. You'll ports 137 and 139 are hit a
lot by windows machines, and it is most likely not an attack. On the
other hand, if someone is looking for a poorly set up windows machine to
crack, they'd probably go to those ports, since it is a way in for
machines that don't have passwords set (in which case they'd probably
run their script and it'd be done...network neighborhood will continue
to retransmit as long as a machine is on the net).