[lug] Python/Zope question ...

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Sat Jan 13 12:48:59 MST 2001

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 08:26:20PM +0100, rm at mamma.varadinet.de wrote:

> Hmm, i think i'm misssing something here. What i want to do
> is the following: I have written some daemon that acts as
> a middle tire to query search engines like glimpse. The front-
> end opens a socket to the server and sends a query. The server
> translates the query to the backend query format, queries the
> backend, caches the reply and sends an answer to the frontend.
> Frontend/server communication is done with a http-ish protocol.
> I've written Java/Perl and Python modules/classes for the proto-
> col part and they seem to work fine. Of course i could do some-
> thing like:
>
>  <dtml-in expr="query(server="192.168.2.12" port="7777"  query="bla")">
>  </dtml-in>
>
> but since the people who have to maintain the site are basically
> non-technical i would love to have a less error-prone alternaive
> syntax bycreating my 'own' dtml tags. From what i understand so
> far dtml-methods are stored fragments of dtml code. I don't see
> how i can accomplish what i want with dtml methods.

Well, it's possible with Zope permissions to create a dtml method
which non-technical people can use but not view or edit.  You'd
still have to allow the techie maintainer access to this.

Another alternative is to create an Python Product:
http://www.zope.org/Members/hathawsh/PythonProductTutorial

Regards,
Evelyn Mitchell
efm at tummy.com