[lug] Syslog

charles at lunarmedia.net charles at lunarmedia.net
Mon Jan 15 16:17:00 MST 2001

lance errors on ciscos will often be the first indication that you need to
replace your cabling or you're exceeding ethernet distance specs. another
common cause of late collision errors is duplex mismatches. your host is
running 100/half and your switch is set to 100/full. ciscos don't manage
this well with some nics and even though you have it set to
auto-negotiate, you may need to hard set it.

sorry, but linux is definitely doing its job here. you can't blame the os
for logging the errors that your ciscos are sending to it :-)