[lug] Kernel 2.4.0

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Tue Jan 16 15:25:30 MST 2001

Thanks.  After updating modutils and re-installing the 2.4.0 modules
tree, everything seems to be working fine now.  I even got sndconfig to
work by updating to the sndconfig RPM from the RH 7.0 release.  One
difference I found was that depmod (and the new sndconfig) wanted to
abandon conf.modules in favor of modules.conf, which necessitated an
edit of /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit in the sound modules section (where it
greps the conf.modules file to determine the driver alias for sound).

Still no ideas about the intermittent X startup problem.

"D. Stimits" wrote:

> John Hernandez wrote:
> >
> > I've compiled a 2.4.0 kernel for my Redhat 6.2 system.  I'm having two
> > problems, and wonder if anyone can lend some advise:
> >
> > 1) Having some problems with kernel-loadable modules -- seems the
> > /lib/modules/2.4.0 tree is a bit different.  I read somewhere that I
> > will need a new modutils package.  If that's the case, anyone know of a
> > new modutils RPM that will work on a RH 6.2 system?  This makes me think
> > that I did the wrong thing by hacking it to look like the
> > /lib/modules/2.2.x tree ;)  Things are sort-of working at the moment.
> > 'sndconfig' barfs, and I'm not getting sound loaded at boot (which is
> > what I want), but a manual 'modprobe es1371' gets it going.  Perhaps I
> > just need to fix whatever else is wrong (modutils?) and do another 'make
> > modules_install'.  Or maybe not...
>
> Someone already answered this, but FYI, required packages and their
> versions, along with the commands to test for current version, are
> always listed in the kernel source Documentation directory:
> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes

John Hernandez, Network Engineer --------------------------------------
US Department of Commerce                             tel: 303-497-6392
NOAA/OAR - Mailstop R/OM12                            fax: 303-497-6005
325 Broadway                            e-mail: John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Boulder, CO 80303                               http://boulder.noaa.gov