[lug] logging in bind8

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Jan 17 14:25:25 MST 2001

This isn't exactly the same as what you're trying to do, but this is how
I log stuff when I need it.  I disable this (for performance reasons)
when I'm not interested in doing full logging.  This is used mostly for
debugging as my servers are very busy... but you could run this all the
time on a small server without much performance penalty.  Faster disks
(I/O) would help here...

logging {

//Reduce log verbosity on issues outside of our control...

category lame-servers { null; };
category cname { null; };

//Turn on section below for full query logging...

	channel my_queries_file {
		file "/var/named/log.queries" versions 3 size 10000k;
		severity info;
		print-category yes;
		print-severity yes;
		print-time yes;
	};
};

category queries { my_queries_file; };

There is a ton more you can do than this with the logging directive, and
it's all pretty well documented in DNS & BIND.

Hopefully that's helpful...

I see what you're trying to do is redirect ALL logging to another file,
and I'm not too familiar with the "severity dynamic" statement in your
channel definition.