[lug] Public Key Exchanges

Michael J. Pedersen marvin at keepthetouch.org
Wed Jan 17 14:35:43 MST 2001

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 02:08:52PM -0700, Nate Duehr wrote:
> I know I missed the meeting (was in Vegas... fun!) but is there any
> particular benefit to setting up a BLUG keyserver over using one of the
> widely-known key servers (like the one in my sig)?
>
> It seems more software would be pre-"aimed" at the pgp.net servers and
> would suffice for building a sufficient "web of trust" if we all just
> did a big keysigning party and get everyone to properly authenticate
> each other's keys and re-upload them to the well-known servers?
>
> Just wondering why someone needs to go through all the extra work of
> building a keyserver... someone enlighten me!

Is it necessary? Absolutely not. But, in some ways, it would indeed be
beneficial to have, as the purpose of the key server is to hold all the (for
lack of a better phrase) blug signed keys. Which means that if you can trust
someone in the blug, you can grab all the trusted keys more easily. Plus, with
it being smaller, you could grab the whole heyring over even a slow modem in a
reasonable time.

Necessary? No. Beneficial? Yes. Just my $.02 worth :)

--
Michael J. Pedersen
My GnuPG KeyID: 4E724A60        My Public Key Available At: wwwkeys.pgp.net