[lug] help with zic?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Jan 18 00:03:02 MST 2001

Justin wrote:

> I posted about this problem a little bit ago but was not able to fix the
> problem. When I do a 'uname -a' this is my output:
> root at newschool:/etc/rc.d# uname -a
> Linux newschool 2.4.0 #1 Sun Jan 14 17:56:03 Local time zone must be
> set--see zic manuai686 i686 unknown
> I cannot seem to get the localtime set with the zic program. I have
> tried doing 'timeconfig', setting the time w/ the 'date' command, and
> also many variations of zic (such as zic -d /usr/share/zoneinfo, zic -l
> /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Mountain) Non of these has resolved the issue,
> and I'm running out of ideas. Anyone have any other ideas?
>
> Justin
>
> -----
> glow at jackmoves.com
> www.jackmoves.com

Does timetool work to alter time? And if the zic command (which I'm not
familiar with) fails, try an strace log to see what it dies at:
strace -oziclog.txt zic

There'll be a lot of output, but you can assume any answers are probably
in the last 20% or so. And even then, lines that end with = 0 will be
success and mostly ignorable.