[lug] SUSE- comments

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Jan 18 08:53:52 MST 2001

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 06:02:03PM -0700, ljp wrote:
>4- The install seemed to take longer than RH's (probably because of
>ReiserFS, I suppose), but it at least looked better than the curses graphics

Hmm, ReiserFS shouldn't make it take longer -- in fact it should take less
time.

>5- The ReiserFS option was welcomed !!!! :) I use NTFS5 on another machine,
>and have grown to appreciate journaling FS's.

Yeah, ReiserFS is pretty nice, especially on larger drives.  We've been
using it for the 60 and 80GB drives for storing MP3s -- much shorter
mkfs times and mount times (seconds intead of 30+ minutes).

Once my 20GB drive for my laptop gets back from repair, I'll probably
build 2.2.18 with Reiser, IPSec, the international kernel patches,
and the like.  Then set up both my main partitions as Reiser.

Oh, and comparing a recent SuSE to RedHat 6.0 or below is...an interesting
choice...  With the exception of Reiser, most of the things you mention
apply to all the distros these days.

Oh, and on the RedHat 7 sucks front -- I finally ran into my first program
that had problems with 2.96.  Actually had to go through the effort of
typing "make CC=kgcc".  ;-)

Sean
                 -- Gregory Benford