[lug] SuSE

Gordon J. Holtslander holtslander at sask.usask.ca
Thu Jan 18 13:44:16 MST 2001

Hi:

I've been using SuSE as my "default" distribution since I started using
linux a few years ago.  I'm quite happy with it.

I started using linux with Redhat 5.0 .  I had problems with mouse
support and printer support.  I had bought a boxed version of Redhat so
I used their installation support services.  In both cases the redhat
techs recommended that I download rpm's from suse to solve these
problems.

I also wanted to try this new KDE system. (RH5 came with fvwm) Since I
had to use SuSE stuff to get Redhat working, I thought I should just
switch to SuSE.

SuSE now has a fairly easy graphical setup from a CD.

I set up a laptop to run Suse this summer - it was very quick and easy -
much easier than reinstalling Windows on a laptop.

SuSE uses rpm as its packaging system.  I do my installs via rpm on the
console.  I can't imagine anything simpler.

I find I don't have many dependency issues as long as I'm using an up to
date system. (currently SuSE 7.0)

I think the most appealing thing for Suse is its boxed sets.  I bought
one when I needed to set up a number of machines.  They usually include
5 CD's and a good manual. SuSE 7 also includes an installation manual
that caters to new linux users.  I heard that the reason SuSE does this
is because phone use is/was expensive in Germany, and that people
avoided using their phone to download.

I've always used the text based installer since I was familiar with it.
(It wasn't available when I started with Suse 5)

I'm going to convert an old PC into a small web-server via SuSE 7.0 next
week.  Want me to watch our for anything?

Gord
--
Gordon J. Holtslander         Dept. of Biology
holtslander at sask.usask.ca     University of Saskatchewan