[lug] worm article

Tom Tromey tromey at cygnus.com
Thu Jan 18 17:31:16 MST 2001

>> Argggh. This was the wrong one. The relevant link is:
>> http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-201-4508359-0.html

Here's a link which has more technical detail:

    http://members.home.net/dtmartin24/ramen_worm.txt

One relevant quote:

    Finally, fixes for all the vulnerabilities that this worm uses have
    been freely available from RedHat since at least early October, 2000.

Red Hat has been getting a lot of bad press lately.  I've noticed a
lot of it here.  Some of it is deserved, I'm sure.  Like any
organization, Red Hat makes mistakes.  Hopefully this is one of the
times that the bad press isn't deserved.  I'm sure someone will
correct me if I'm mistaken :-)

Tom