[lug] SUSE- comments

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Thu Jan 18 17:04:18 MST 2001

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael J Pedersen <marvin at keepthetouch.org> writes:

Michael> APT, Advanced Packaging Tool, has been ported to use both
Michael> .rpm and .deb packages. Translatoin: It's your silver
Michael> bullet. RedHat will probably pick up apt by the time they hit
Michael> 7.2. Connectiva already does it.

apt-get is the one thing I miss from Debian.  In other ways I prefer
the Red Hat distribution: it installs easier and is generally more up
to date -- I was always reluctant to upgrade to Debian unstable, based
mostly on the name.  In my experience the RH `.2' releases are pretty
good and I can expect them about once a year...

Anyway, I've talked to people here about apt.  Red Hat has its own
program, called `up2date', which does something similar to apt-get.  I
don't know much about it (I haven't used it yet).  My understanding is
that the reason the Red Hat RPM hackers prefer up2date to apt is that
apt ignores things like package signing (and some other security-type
issue, the details of which I forget).

Other people have told me "up2date sucks".  I don't know.  I'm curious
to hear informed opinions on it.

Tom