[lug] KRUD problem

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Jan 19 15:56:08 MST 2001

>> Can you try again and look above those messages and copy down the
>> ones you see? That might give a clue to the problem...

GR> 		okay here it is: Welcome to red hat install (first
GR> stsage, version 1.2 built Dec 8 1997 16:37:59) 45 keymaps are

woah...thats not right...thats old.

GR> available using keymap us loaded 10 keymap tables using device hdc
GR> uncompressing module for installation running: /bin/insmode
GR> /bin/insmod /tmp/isofs.o mounting hdc on /tmp/rhimage as type
GR> iso9660 creating directory /tmp/rhimage rc = 0 calling mount
GR> (/tmp/hdc, /tmp/rhimage, iso9660, -1058209791, (nil)) removing
GR> device file /tmp/hdc method selection completed state saved to
GR> /tmp error in exec of second stage loader :-( error: no such file
GR> or directory

>>  I assume the 5.0 install is on a IDE drive? Anything else on
>> there?  windows?
GR> yes, windoze me
>>  Do you have any swap space enabled?
GR> yes, 126MB
>> Also, what are the other stats on the machine?
GR> Processor?  333 pentium memory?  64MB
>> video? matrox millinium II
GR> i am running at 1024 x 768. that all works okay.
>>
GR> Ken, Chip, Sean, SSG

>>  humm...why is the text mode not possible to use?  When you first
>> boot from the cd, you should see a menu that explains about text
>> mode, and expert mode, and rescue mode, etc... You should be able
>> to type 'text' from there and go to the text mode installer....

GR> there is main, general, expert, and rescue, kickstart, kernal mode
GR> but not text. i typed the command to load text from the floppy
GR> because that is where i booted from. i hit enter for boot (without
GR> typing text [error reference above]) and the screen process is:
GR> monitir (yes, color), welcome, keyboard (us) (then loading
GR> choices), cdrom, nfs image, hard drive (i tried that too on native
GR> linux hda5 and the screen says: Device hda5 does not appear to
GR> contain a Red Hat installation tree.i had copied from the KRUD cd
GR> to hda1 the RH 7.0 files containing rpm etc.) i chose hda1
GR> (windoze me drive) and the right location so i don't understand
GR> the msg), then the screen says insert cd, initializing. but it has
GR> stopped and you see why in the indented "okay here it is:" segment
GR> above.

>> which boot floppy are you using? the boot.img from images/boot.img
>> on the first cd?

GR> i believe so. from the bulid date above i may have copied the boot
GR> image from the RH 5.0 disk. they are the same size 1.40 MB
GR> (1,474,560 bytes).

ah...this might be the probelm...they may be the same size, but they
are totally diffrent. ;)

GR> i had some trouble with the copying (my
GR> floppies are only 1.38MB (1,457,664 bytes): my screen said 'no
GR> enough space at the target floppy) so i actually do not remember
GR> how i made the copy process work 8 nights ago. how does one get a
GR> boot floppy made in this type of situation?

If you are booted under windows, take a look at the first cd. There
should be a folder called 'dosutils'. Open that folder, and then under
there should be a executable called "rawrite.exe". Run that. It should
pop up a window and ask you what image you want to write. Give it the
path to the boot.img file on the first cd. (in /images/boot.img). Then
it will ask what drive, and you tell it a: It should write the boot
image to the floppy.

Try booting from the freshly made floppy...it sounds like that might
be the problem. :)

kevin