[lug] I-opener

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Jan 22 15:17:06 MST 2001

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 09:27:09PM -0700, Kyle Moore wrote:
>Anyone know where I can find a screen like the I-Opener's? I'm looking

Well, the folks who build I-Opener buy basicly just the panel and glue
logic, which is relatively useless for you.  The interface wouldn't be
a VGA thing, it would be for connecting to the LCD display interface
hardware.

The I-Opener uses a passive display, as you may know.  Vendors just aren't
selling stand-alone monitors which are passive.  I'd suspect that's because
the VGA-to-LCD logic and other things required to make it a stand-alone
display would be fairly expensive.  So if a passive panel is $100 and an
active display is $300, that would leave the end price of the display
being like $800 versus $1000.  People probably aren't interested in
paying $800 for a passive display.

>for a cheap, small footprint display for a station to build into the
>living room. Seems like all of the flat screen monitors are larger and

Have you thought about using an I-Opener or a cheap second-hand laptop?

Sean
--
 kill -HUMP <pid>: Process immediately stops what it's doing and fork(2)s a
 child process, which runs as a daemon.  -- Sean Reifschneider, 1998