[lug] Security notice and Ramen

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Jan 23 21:25:05 MST 2001

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 05:03:28PM -0700, D. Stimits wrote:
>A similar scenario for some of the C++ STL containers. I could imagine
>someone trying to buffer overflow a std::string for someone with a 56k

DJB has an RFC or the like for "net strings".  A net string is:

	11:hello world,

So, you know right up front wether you should accept the string.  I use them
in a bunch of my own network and file IO.  Of course, your implementation
has to understand that reading of the length is also length-limited
(mine is, of course).  Otherwise you could just write a bunch of zeros and
fill up memory.

Sean
--
 Microsoft treats objects like women, man...
                 -- Kevin Fenzi, paraphrasing the Dude, 1998