[lug] gpg question

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Wed Jan 24 12:49:07 MST 2001

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Michael J. Pedersen wrote:

> Ah, but which would prefer? For any new people, I'd need to re-examine
> the theory, which was about 45 minutes of that presentation (or was it
> much closer to an hour? I don't think I ran that far over on time).
> Actual practice and use should be about the same amount of time.

You have a better idea about what you think would work for you.  You can
also work with the people here on the list to find out what items
they'd like more information about.  There are many possibilities.  Some
off the top of my head would be:

   - A presentation about general cryptography (that could lay the
     groundwork)

   - A demo where you walk the group through the setup and use of GPG
     (kind of a show more than tell kind of talk)

You can kind of take this from here and be a little bit creative.  You
probably wouldn't need to do this by yourself either.  There seems to be a
number of people in the group working in/with cryptography, and it might
be possible to do some kind of collaborative effort.

Another thing I just stumbled across and haven't had a chance to verify or
follow up on is that the DES encryption algorithm was supposedly developed
here in ITS by John Hershey (sp?).  If he is still around that might make
for an interesting talk too.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)