[lug] Domain Hosting..

celttechie (Brian Jarrett) celttechie at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 24 13:19:09 MST 2001

wrote:
> >Technically speaking, you don't need two domain servers.  Any good
> >implementation would have a backup (secondary) name server listed,
though.

> Many registrars won't accept your domain registration request unless you
> have two DNS servers listed.  Though it seems that sometimes you can
register
> two and then once it goes through drop one of them.

It's really easy to list something like ns1.qwest.net as a secondary.  A
friend of mine was getting frustrated and just put this in the other day, as
a matter of fact.  They took the registration.  I've not ever heard of them
actually trying to check that the server you are listing is giving out zone
info for the domain you are registering.  As a matter of fact, I've
registered several domains before even having the zone set up in my DNS.
How could they check?  It must be that they only check to make sure that the
server you are listing actually exists.

Brian