[lug] KRUD install problems

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Jan 24 14:02:39 MST 2001

>>>>> "Jeffery" == Jeffery D Collins <jcollins at endtech.com> writes:

Jeffery> Most of the install of KRUD 7.0 on a Sony PCG-F690K laptop
Jeffery> went smoothly.  Here are a couple of problems that remain:

Jeffery> 1.  XFree86 detects the video card (ATI Rage Mobility P/M AGP
Jeffery> 2x) and selects the ati driver.  However, the server fails to
Jeffery> start and the last few lines of the log are:

Jeffery> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeffery> <stuff deleted>

Jeffery> (EE) ATI(0): cannot continue (EE) ATI(0): Unable to correctly
Jeffery> retrieve adapter BIOS.  (II) Unloading
Jeffery> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvbe.a (II) Unloading
Jeffery> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libddc.a (II) Unloading
Jeffery> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux/libint10.a (EE) Screen(s) found,
Jeffery> but none have usable configuration.

Jeffery> Fatal server error: no screens found

Jeffery> <bug reporting stuff deleted>
Jeffery> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeffery> In looking through the driver list or th RH7.0 distribution,
Jeffery> there are several with at version 3.3.6.  The ati driver is
Jeffery> 4.0.1a.  Should I try upgrading the server to 4.0.2 or
Jeffery> downgrading to 3.3.6?  A collegue of mine has an identical
Jeffery> machine and successfully install RH6.2 with X, so the 3.3.6
Jeffery> driver must be working properly.

humm...are you running the 2.4.0 kernel on this laptop?
I ran into a issue with the 2.4.0 kernel and the powertweak package
that could cause this very error. It seems that powertweak was setting
the shared memory to 0 and the X server was thus unable to get any
shared memory to function. ;(

If this is a 2.2.x kernel, this shouldn't be an issue, but you might
check and make sure you have shared memory:

cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax or /proc/sys/kernel/shmall

Jeffery> 2.  Network card

Jeffery> I have a PCMCIA network card (Megahertz CC/XJEM3336
Jeffery> Ethernet/Modem) that works fine on my Inspiron 7000 and is
Jeffery> also properly detected by the Sony (same text in
Jeffery> /var/log/messages).  I hand-configured the eth0 interface by
Jeffery> copying the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
Jeffery> from the Inspiron to the Sony.  The card is connected to a
Jeffery> Sprint broadband "modem", that uses dhcp to determine the IP
Jeffery> address.

Jeffery> The problem is that only once did I establish a network
Jeffery> connection with the Sony (and it was on the nth attempt).  I
Jeffery> haven't been able to repeat the process which lead to a
Jeffery> successful connection, but it involved plugging the card in,
Jeffery> powering down and booting.  Of course, this shouldn't be
Jeffery> necessary.  I can plug/unplug the card from the Inspiron all
Jeffery> day and it will properly restart the network interface each
Jeffery> time.

What messages does it give you?
You should be looking at the /etc/pcmcia/network.opts file. That
should be setup to use dhcp, etc...

Jeffery> As a side note, the machine came preinstalled with Win2K.  It
Jeffery> detected the card, but whether I configured the
Jeffery> IP/Gateway/Netmask manually or set it up for dhcp, no network
Jeffery> connection was ever achieved.

Jeffery> BTW, what is the difference between netcfg, netconf and
Jeffery> netconfig (and that found in linuxconf)?  Do they all affect
Jeffery> the same set of config files?

yes, but they are diffrent interfaces to them. It's best to stick with
one of them since they might modify the files in an incompatible
manner for the rest. :)

Jeffery> Thanks,
Jeffery> Jeff

kevin