[lug] Internet Access

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Jan 24 20:27:12 MST 2001

"Stephen G. Smith" wrote:

> What about a second line and dual analog/MULTILINK PPP
> I ran that under a few linux installs with success...

Remember that extra phone lines are a significant cost, and that getting
one at this end of town, for example, means dividing an original line in
half (and you can divide it only once, then there are NO more lines
available)...both lines combined would equal one of the original, since
bandwidth is divided along with the line (novel concept, they cut it in
half and you pay double...that would be a great scam for a fast food
restaurant). This may not be true for other areas, but the idea of
getting something like 10 phone lines to work in place of dsl is a very
expensive alternative. In the Siberian district of Longmont, in the
neighborhoods with filtered/divided phone lines that can't handle dsl
under any circumstances, T1's are literally about the next alternative.
Boosters for ISDN for example, bring the price up to nearly equivalent
to a T1. If the coop backbone ran through Longmont directly, T1's would
be the best choice in my neighborhood. A funny thing is that there is
fiber running within two blocks, which works great even for OC-3, but is
useless for dsl (or so I'm told). Additionally, the fiber seems to be
reserved for commercial users.